A flexible zoom to benefit working in a variety of situations, the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM from Canonis a 24-136mm-equivalent lens designed for APS-C-format DSLRs. Ultra-Low Dispersion and aspherical elements are featured in the optical design to control color fringing, distortion, and a variety of aberrations throughout the zoom range, and a Super Spectra coating has been applied to reduce flare and ghosting for improved contrast and color fidelity. The lens also features an Optical Image Stabilizer, which minimizes the appearance of camera shake by four stops to better enable shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions. Additionally, a ring-type Ultrasonic Motor is featured, too, which affords quick, quiet autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override.
- Standard zoom is designed for APS-C-format Canon EF-S-mount DSLRs, and offers a 24-136mm equivalent focal length range.
- One Ultra-Low Dispersion glass element noticeably reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity and color fidelity.
- Three aspherical elements minimize spherical aberrations and distortions for improved sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with an internal focusing system, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.