The king of super telephotos, the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR is the longest lens in Nikon's lineup, and with it brings one of the most advanced optical designs along with superior focusing and VR performance and full weather-sealing. The lens construction features a pair of extra-low dispersion glass elements along with two fluorite elements, which enhance sharpness, clarity, and color rendering by reducing a variety of aberrations. The fluorite elements also contribute to a lighter overall weight. Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have also been applied to the optical system in order to minimize flare and ghosting when working in bright and backlit conditions.
Beyond the optics, this super tele is also characterized by a Silent Wave Motor, which produces fast, near-silent autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. Further contributing to photographing in fast-paced situations and difficult lighting, VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake by up to 4.5 stops. Additionally, an electromagnetic aperture mechanism is integrated into the lens design to provide greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with faster continuous shooting rates.
In addition to the lens itself, the AF-S Teleconverter TC800-1.25E ED is included, and its 1.25x magnification increases the effective focal length to 1000mm. Its dedicated design includes one extra-low dispersion element to maintain the optical qualities of the lens, and it also retains AF and VR capabilities.
- Super telephoto prime is designed for FX-format Nikon F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it will provide a 1200mm equivalent focal length.
- Relatively fast f/5.6 maximum aperture helps to achieve shallow depth of field and selective focus effects for isolating subjects.
- Two fluorite and two extra-low dispersion lens elements work to reduce chromatic aberrations; improve overall image sharpness, clarity, and color fidelity; and help to minimize the overall weight of the lens.
- A Nano Crystal Coat, along with a Super Integrated Coating, has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake by up to 4.5 shutter speed stops, benefiting this lens's use in low-light conditions. Additionally, a designated Sport Mode is well-suited to working in fast-paced conditions and a Tripod Mode helps to suppress subtle ground vibrations when working atop a support system.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. An internal focusing design is also used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant magnesium-alloy lens barrel benefits the lens' use in inclement conditions.
- A removable tripod collar is included with the lens for well-balanced support when working from a monopod or tripod. The collar ring also incorporates ball bearings for smooth transitions between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
This mechanism limits the compatibility of this lens to the following cameras: D5, D4, D3 series, Df, D850, D810, D810A, D800/E, D750, D700, D610, D600, D500, D300/S, D7500, D7200, D7100, D7000, D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100, Z6/Z7 with FTZ Mount Adapter, Nikon 1 J1, J2, J3, J4 with FT-1, Nikon 1 V1, V2, V3 with FT-1, and Nikon 1 S1, S2 with FT-1.
- The AF-S Teleconverter TC800-1.25E ED is included with the lens, and its 1.25x magnification increases the effective focal length to 1000mm. The teleconverter is designed specifically for use with this 800mm f/5.6 lens and maintains AF when used with cameras that support AF from f/8, full 4.5-stop-effective VR performance, and retains the minimum focusing distance of 19.4'. Its five element, three groups optical design includes one extra-low dispersion element that contributes to overall image clarity and color accuracy.
- Compatible with optional AF-S Teleconverter TC-14, TC-17, and TC-20 teleconverters.