Covering a useful range of focal lengths, the NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4 S is a versatile zoom, spanning wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives. Its constant f/4 maximum aperture maintains a consistent exposure throughout the zoom range and also helps to realize a more compact and lightweight alternative to an f/2.8 zoom. In regard to the optical design, a unique aspherical extra-low dispersion element, in addition to three aspherical elements, is used to help reduce chromatic aberrations and distortions throughout the zoom range in order to achieve high image sharpness and clarity. Both Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have also been applied to control flare and ghosting for greater contrast and color rendering in bright and backlit conditions.
Complementing the optics, a stepping motor provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override to suit both stills and video applications. A programmable control ring can be set for intuitive adjustment over a variety of camera and exposure settings. Additionally, the lens has a button-less retractable barrel to realize a more compact form factor when not in use.
- Standard zoom covers a wide-angle to portrait-length range and is designed for FX-format Z-mount mirrorless cameras.
- Constant f/4 maximum aperture affords consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also contributes to the relatively lightweight design and compact form factor.
- A unique aspherical extra-low dispersion element is incorporated into the optical design, along with three additional aspherical elements, to greatly reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations, distortion, coma (comatic aberration), and flare for consistent edge-to-edge sharpness and illumination.
- A Nano Crystal Coat, along with a Super Integrated Coating, has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Stepping motor delivers impressively smooth, quiet, and fast autofocus performance that is well-suited to both stills and video applications. Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Programmable Control Ring is, by default, set to adjust manual focus, but can also be used to control aperture or exposure compensation.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Exposed elements feature a fluorine coating that affords protection to the optical system against dust, grease, and water droplets.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant lens barrel benefits the lens' use in inclement conditions.
- Button-less retractable design maintains a compact form factor when the lens is not in use.