The FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS Lens from Sony is a full-frame compatible E-Mount telephoto zoom lens with the versatility to stretch from true wide-angle to super telephoto perspectives. Its advanced optical design includes 5 aspherical elements and 1 ED glass element, achieving high-quality performance with reduced chromatic and spherical aberrations in a compact design. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization facilitates sharper imaging in low light situations and when shooting at long telephoto lengths.
An internal focus system means that only the central optical elements move during focus which enables faster autofocus and a shorter minimum focus distance. Also, the lens does not extend during focus and the front element does not rotate which is more practical, especially if using a polarizer filter. A linear AF motor drive also helps to achieve fast autofocus and a circular 7-blade aperture helps to create smooth and pleasing out-of-focus highlights. Like all other FE lenses, the physical design is dust and moisture resistant.
- Designed to cover everything from wide-angle to telephoto perspectives, this full-frame 24-240mm E-mount lens can also be used on APS-C format cameras where it will provide an equivalent zoom range of 36-360mm.
- A variable f/3.5-6.3 aperture helps keep lens size and weight to a minimum while still offering an outstanding 10x zoom range.
- One extra-low dispersion glass element is featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Five aspherical elements are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can also be combined with select camera's sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur.
- A linear autofocus motor and internal focus design provide quick and precise autofocus performance and enables accurate and silent focusing while recording videos.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.